Thursday, June 7, 2012

Growing Your Own Food

Fenugreek Sprouts


My sprouts left to develop greens on my balcony
I've read about growing sprouts at home. It seemed easy enough to do. So I tried it at home and the results were good. For breastfeeding mothers who take fenugreek tea as a galactagogue, this is a nice and different way to consume fenugreek.



The steps are simple: soak, rinse, drain and keep in a dark place. Basically just rinse about twice a day and you’ll get nice sprouts in about a week. I find that the jam jar is convenient to use. Just attach 2 pieces of gauze to the opening with a rubber band. To ensure having a dark place for the jar, I just covered it with old newspaper.

After 6 days I put the jar out in a bright place for a day to develop some chorophyll. Then it’s all good to eat!

Up close: you can see the little green leaves

Fenugreek Sprouts and Anchovies Salad

This isn’t a real recipe, I just sort of made it up:

Fenugreek sprouts and anchovies salad
Fenugreek sprouts, washed and drained
Handful of dried anchovies (ikan bilis)
1 tomato
2 tbsp olive oil
Juice of ½ lemon (or less)
1 tsp poppy seeds
1 tbsp honey
Salt and pepper to taste

1.    Fry the anchovies in oil until brown and crisp
2.    Cut the tomatoes into cubes or wedges
3.    Mix together the lemon juice, honey, olive oil and poppy seed. Add salt and pepper to taste.
4.    Toss everything together.

No comments:

Post a Comment